Promises of Someday

A Fullness of Silence 1


Vincent, Devin at the secret gate


The Pause


Outside the secret door, Devin folds his old clasp knife. “Twenty years is a long time. I wasn’t even sure anybody'd be ... home," he says, stepping away, turning back. "I'll tell you, there were some dark nights when I thought I imagined the whole thing. The tunnels, the Old Man. You. Especially you." He laughs and spreads his arms. "What are you doing here anyway? It’s like you knew I was gonna be here." 


“Catherine saw you last night at the carousel and ... followed you here.”

“Catherine? You mean Chandler? From the DA’s office?”

And Vincent only nods.
 
“Small world,” Devin says with a sigh. “So you have a Helper in the DA’s office.”
 
“Catherine is ... ... ... more than a Helper.”
 
The slightest smile plays on Devin's lips. His brows raise. "Things change, I guess.


~~~~~


What is Vincent thinking?

After each 100 word imagining, you'll find a link to bring you back to this page.

Aliset    Carole W    Cyndi    Michelle K    Olivia K. Goode    SandyX    Vicky




______

1. Max Picard. The World of Silence. 1952.

9 comments:

RomanticOne July 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

Oh so much more than a helper! All of you said it beautifully. I love this site and hope you keep it up. It's wonderful to imagine how it could have been. You each help me by providing words for the pictures I hold in my imagination.

Anonymous July 23, 2010 at 7:01 AM  

R1 - Thank you for such kind words. Your encouragement makes us want to work harder, you know. :-)

It matters to us that you're enjoying the projects. We're really glad to see you here.

Carole

Cyndi D July 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

I can not tell you how much "The fullness of silence" rocked me! That brief silence held the world! I am so honored and humbled to have you all here to enrich my life.

AZLadyWolf July 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

To All of the Unique and Wonderful women who contribute their talent to "Everything" -- I am so grateful to all of you for sharing your stories - I cherish all of them. You all keep Vincent and Catherine and the Tunnels alive, breathing, and vibrant. - I read these little, and very intimate, glimpses into Vincent's heart while listening to "An Ocean of Memories" from Titanic. I was in tears ... please don't ever stop writing. It's food for a starving soul....

OKGoode July 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

AZLadyWolf, Thank you so very much for such touching compliments! BatB is sustenance to all our souls, inspiring us to create. It's so very gratifying to know that we have moved others in some way - thank you for letting us know! I think it's safe to say that we will be continuing to assign ourselves homework for quite some time!

Again, as Shakespeare said, "I can no other answer make, but thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks!"

Be Well!

Unknown July 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

You are a very talented group of ladies, another great job!!!!

Cathy

Anonymous August 6, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Cathy! It's so nice to see you again. Your kind words make such a difference. Thank you for reading.

Carole

Carriez February 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

I was delighted to find this site on the Winterfest treasure Hunt. I just love "the pause" - I have obsessed about what may have been going on in Vincent's mind over those few seconds and to find several choices here, se beautifully written, was wonderful for me. Thank-you all.

Krista February 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

Carrie--

Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. One of the fascinating things about writing Vincent---and one which we all explored in our stories--is how economical he is with words, never a one wasted or badly chosen. So much meaning crammed into such a small space in time...what could he have been thinking?

We're all very happy that you liked what we came up with. Thanks again. :)

-Krista :)

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Just click inside the box to type.

About This Site

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out