The Pause ~ Promises of Someday

by Olivia K. Goode


"Catherine is ..."


What words can say all that Catherine is to me?  How to define her?

My girlfriend?  Hardly! How wholly inadequate!

My life? My heart? My destiny?  All true, but too clichéd.

My love? My soul-mate?  That’s truth, too. Perhaps too much truth.

The star to my wandering bark?  Catherine deserves better than borrowed words, even Shakespeare’s.

Catherine is…

Everything good.

She’s the fire that banishes shadow…

bedrock and bread…

sonnets and symphonies…

shivers in the spine...

the reason I bother breathing...

a gift unasked for and unmerited…

Catherine is…

                                              "... more than a helper."




Click HERE to return to Promises of Someday Project list - The Pause

9 comments:

Three Writers July 23, 2010 at 3:06 AM  

I have to say the alliteration is grand! And 'the reason I bother breathing' is my favorite! Your 'list' is perfect...how I wish Vincent might have spoken your words alound to Devin!!! Thank you, Olivia K. Goode :)! Nancy

OKGoode July 23, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

Thank you so much, Nancy! It doesn't approach your way with words, but it was fun to write!

Vicky July 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

"Shivers in the spine", eh? Yes, yes, I can see that... that embrace the first time he took her back... I very love this, Laura! Sigh...

Anonymous July 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

Catherine deserves better tha borrowed words, even Shakespeare's. Oh, that is just So Vincent. You have him, you really do.

But ... the reason I bother breathing ... now that makes me weak. It's beautiful, I know he said it (and I wish I had!)

Carole

SandyX July 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

Ohhh, you've given Vincent a "Catherine is ..." that is so very him, right down to that little "unmerited" that you just know he would sneak in there. Thank you for this.

Cyndi D July 23, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

The worset part of posting comments so late is that everyone has said the good stuff!

"...Catherine deserves better than borrowed words, even Shakespeare’s."

Oh my! That says it all does it not?

Krista July 23, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

Laura, this is just...wonderful. Beyond wonderful. Better than good. You've captured Vincent so perfectly here I can hear him rasping in my ear. ;-)

Awesome, wonderful, fantastic job!

-Krista :)

Brit July 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM  

*SIGH* Catherine is... all those thoughts were so incredible!
Shivers in the spine....
mmm that one has to be my favorite.
second fav: the reason I bother breathing.. WOW!
Made my day! THANK YOU!

Michelle August 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

"Bedrock and bread" ... "sonnets and symphonies" ... WOW. I love it all, but those two, just wow.

I loved the format you chose, as well. The poetry, emphasizes the distillation in your choice of words. Powerful combinations! This is fantastic!

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Just click inside the box to type.

About This Site

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out