Do the Squeaky

     ~ Olivia K. Goode





“Please, Catherine, isn’t that enough? May I stop?”

The steady squeaking of the bedsprings continued unabated.

“No, Vincent!” Catherine hissed. “Please! Not yet! Almost!  So close…. Oh, please, don’t stop now!”

Vincent redoubled his efforts, a fine sheen of sweat breaking on his temples.

Many more minutes of rhythmic squeaking echoed off the rough-hewn walls of the chamber.

“Oh, Vincent, yes,” Catherine sighed contentedly. “That’s it! That’s so good. Mmmmm.  Yessssss!”

The squeaking tapered off until silence reigned.

He fell into his place in bed at last, spent.  “Finally,” he commented to himself, but not so softly that Catherine couldn’t hear him.

Catherine turned her sublimely satisfied face his direction. She rolled to her stomach and with a flick of her head, fanned her honey-brown hair across her pillow before resting her cheek on the backs of her folded hands. 

“And to think, Vincent, there was a time when you swore that you would never tire of that! You told me that you’d waited to do it for such a long time that you could never, ever get enough of it. Remember?”

“Now please, Catherine, be fair!  It is not as if I resent it. Truly. It’s merely that, after all these months, it has,” he struggled for the right words, “it has - occasionally! - begun to be… something of a minor chore.  Especially when we must do it multiple times a day, and for such an extended period each time…”

“I do feel bad that we’ve begun to bother Father and the others sometimes, especially when…”

A high-pitched keening wail erupted from the cradle beside their bed.

“Oh, no!” Catherine despaired, burying her face into Vincent’s pillow.

Vincent groaned resignedly. “It seems he wasn’t really quite asleep after all!”  He began to sit back up again.

“No, I’ll do that, Vincent,” Catherine said as she pushed her husband back down and crawled over him to the edge of the bed.

She sat there with one foot planted on the curved runner of the cradle and began bouncing up and down on the bed so that the cradle rocked in perfect synchronization with the squeak of their bedsprings. This was the one and only thing they’d found that soothed their six month old son into sleep. “After all, fair is fair, and this time it’s my turn to do the Squeaky.”






Return to the Labyrinths Project Page - The Squeak!

12 comments:

NYC Utopia September 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Ha! I expected no less from you.
Even knowing it was G-rated, I didn't guess what it was they were really doing...

SandyX September 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

Very cute. You had me fooled with this one, I was wondering if you had missed the instructions about these being 'G rated' ... LOL.

Ophelia September 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Olivia - this is too funny! What on earth could they be doing - isn't this supposed to be G-rated? Clever lady!

For me, this was a must re-read. And I suppose, since it is G-rated, I won't tell you the OTHER reason I read this multiple times. I will keep my commentary G-rated, too. :-)

Krista September 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

LOL, I saw what you did there, "Ophelia" :)

Laura, this was deliciously wicked. And G-rated wickedness, which is often the hardest to pull off. I salute you :)

Anonymous September 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

OKGoode, you are teh best!

I laughed and reread, and laughed again. I just read it a third time and enjoyed it even more. There's just so much I could highlight - but I'd be copying and pasting the whole story into comments.

Truly, truly Inspired. Hee!

Michelle K. September 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

I knew it would be G rated, but man did you keep me guessing! Wonderful. WONDERFUL! I can't quite relate to Vincent's exhaustion, but I can imagine it. As V would say, "You take me there with your words." Thank you for giving us a glimpse of their happy life. They deserve it (even if they ARE exhausted from too much bouncing and squeaking - hehehehe!)

Linn September 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

LOL, I absolutely loved it!!!! Very clever and so well written. Great job Olivia;^)

Three Writers September 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

May I get on the back of the line...those who read some...reread...read on...reread...the line for everyone who never guessed it was all a game to soothe a cranky baby! Great job! Thanks! Nancy

Cyndi D September 22, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

You are just naughty!!! Shame on you! and thank you! Leading us all down a certain path, I can see the gleam in your eye as you took that detour!

OKGoode September 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Thank you all! I am the caboose of our comments for this one, it seems!

I am so glad that everyone liked this - it was the one and only idea that came to my mind for their squeaky springs - well, the only G-rated one, anyway...

I'm delighted that I was able to fool you! Gotta love that unreliable narrator! LOL!

Vicky September 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

Oh dear! So many briliant lines there! No, no, my mind didn't go to the gutter... I said no! LOL
Baby and all, this was priceless! ROFL Count me in the group of re-readers. ;-)
PS: And you make me miss my new baby nephew, silly. :-P

Anonymous September 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

I loved it!

I can just picture your face as you were compsoing. I can tell you really loved writing this, your happiness shines through.

I was getting all sorts of visions - yay!

You're a great writer - and a lovely person too.

Lion hugs,

Jodie xxoo

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Just click inside the box to type.

About This Site

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out