A Road Full of Promise

by SandyX

Golden candlelight and the jeweled tones of stained glass warmed Vincent's chambers. Catherine sat in a large velvet covered chair as Vincent reclined on the adjacent bed.

But how could I forget thee? Through what power,
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
To my most grievous loss?--That thought's return
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore,
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart's best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore.
*

"You were almost lost to me," Catherine said, as she closed the book on her lap. "You were almost taken from me." She released a sigh and shook her head slowly. "How could I have ever considered leaving?"

"It's what we both believed was best."

"I don't think I ever really believed that. I should have listened to my heart … the truth was there. I know now … I can't ... I won't be without you, Vincent."

He closed his eyes, his chest rising with a sharp intake of air and falling slowly on release of a barely audible sigh.

Catherine paused, observing him. "You know, Edie stopped by my apartment while I was ... packing," she said, cringing at the word. "She saw the inscription you wrote in the Sonnets and asked who you were. I told her you were a friend." She rose from her chair and walked to the bed, sitting by his side. "We both know we are much more than friends."

"Catherine ..."

She placed a hand on his cheek, caressing the stubble on his chin. "I want you to know this ... I won't give up on what we have ... I won't give up on you. I don't understand everything there is between us - but I want to. I want to follow it wherever it leads us."

"The struggle ... is too much ... the toll on you is too great ..." he responded, shaking his head.

"No. The struggle is just part of ... part of caring for you ... part of loving you." She leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. "We've come too far to turn back now," she said, placing another kiss on his brow.

Vincent closed his eyes, remembering ... You've come too far to turn back now. "Those words sound ... familiar," he said as the hint of a smile crossed his lips.

"Do they?" Catherine asked, gracing his other cheek with a soft kiss. "A world of possibilities and wonders lies before us, " she whispered as her lips found his neck. "We must do everything we were meant to do ... together ... always," she murmured as her lips moved under his chin.

He gently ... reluctantly ... halted her attentions, stilling her with his touch - easing a hand behind her head and directing her eyes toward his.

"There's no other way?" he asked, pulling her toward him.

"Not for us," she replied as their lips met.
__________

* Surprised by Joy – William Wordsworth


*****
Next ... Vicky

or

2 comments:

Anonymous June 14, 2010 at 5:02 AM  

That was beautiful Sandy!

So sweet and heartfelt. Catherine loves Vincent so much doesn't she? And Vincent adores her.

I loved their kiss!

Lion hugs,

Jodie xxoo

SandyX June 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

Yes, the love they share is unquestionable.

Thank you for reading, Jodie, and for the nice comments.

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Just click inside the box to type.

About This Site

Admin Control Panel

New Post | Settings | Change Layout | Edit HTML | Moderate Comments | Sign Out